WHY ARE SOME FARMERS MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN OTHERS?
When i drive around i see that most commercial farmers are doing fine as compared to indigenous farmers, and i ask myself why？
I tried to do a small survey and not a research and this is what i found.
People don’t just fail. People fail because they fail to do certain things that they ought to do. The farming industry is replete of many farmers who have given up. Let’s quickly explore the seven paramount reasons why they failed or fail.
1. They are absent.
Absentee farmers will always fail. To succeed in farming, you must be around your farm most of the time one way or the other. please there is nothing like watsap farming kkkkkkk. You have to be there man.
2. They don’t keep proper records. Structures and order usually bring increase. What you don’t measure may not grow and may even die. And you cant keep everything in your mind.
Buy a book and record everything you do.
3. They do not network.
Those who do the farming business just by themselves without meaningful and proper interactions with farmers that matters will pack up sooner or later. No one can succeed alone. A smart farmer knows that there are webs of interactions with farmers, vets, nutritionists , agronomists, and other notable professionals that will make farming successful.
4. They like cheap inputs instead of going for quality. A cheap mentality at the expense of productivity will always lead to frustrations. When a farmer is fanatical about cheap inputs, he is digging his business grave.
5. They bite more than they can chew. Some farmers, in a bid to make it big fast will take on more than they can handle financially and technically. And of course they will crash!
6. They focus more on work than science.
One Israeli prime minister once said that agriculture is 95 percent science and 5 percent work. When a farmer focuses more on activities than the laid down scientific obligations, he is bound to fail.
7. Farming is a time bound activity.
Everything you DO in farming has got a time frame, once you miss that time your productivity will go down. For example when you are late in applying basal dressing fertilizer in maize there is no reverse it means you are late and expect low yields.
My next post will be on the Bibical Gods Way of Farming watch out for this exciting post.
HAPPY FARMERS DAY
How Droughts Dominate Africa’s Risk Environment
FINDINGS Interesting findings More than 60 percent of households report sudden losses in income and assets. Weather shocks are very…
What’re People Buzzing About? Your Content Should Join The Conversation
Sed faucibus ultrices orci ac malesuada. Cras eu ante dapibus, imperdiet lacus ac, pulvinar nulla. Interdum et malesuada fames ac…