Herd of cows ate to death after consuming entire winter rations in just one day
Half of a herd of cows ate themselves to death after escaping from their pen in Western France.
Farmer Anthony Vaillant had failed to secure the door of a barn, allowing the 46 cows it housed to wander out. The animals made their way to a nearby food store at the farm near the town of Couëron, where the entirety of their winter rations was kept.
However, the food they ate was a type of high energy supplement which can be harmful if consumed in large quantities, and the cows proceeded to eat their way through an entire winter’s worth of the food in one sitting.
“It’s like an overdose,” Mr Vaillant told local newspaper Ouest-France. “If they are eaten in too big a quantity, these cereals stop the digestive rumen function of the cows. And when the stomach does not work the cow becomes intoxicated.
Mr Vaillant then had to helplessly watch as his herd began to die, despite enlisting help from a vet. In total, 22 cows died from over-eating. The remaining 24 animals can no longer produce milk.
Mr Vaillant hopes to rebuild his herd through donations and help from his neighbours.
How Droughts Dominate Africa’s Risk Environment
FINDINGS Interesting findings More than 60 percent of households report sudden losses in income and assets. Weather shocks are very…
What’re People Buzzing About? Your Content Should Join The Conversation
Sed faucibus ultrices orci ac malesuada. Cras eu ante dapibus, imperdiet lacus ac, pulvinar nulla. Interdum et malesuada fames ac…